Discover 11 ways you can profit from growing mushrooms.
Here is a simple list of some areas of profit for you to consider.
There are many more but this is worth review as you consider setting up your business.
- The direct to consumer sale of your mushrooms – Common methods include the sale of mushrooms to the local market via local farmers’ markets. As some farms grow, they establish their own company store and offer other related gourmet items for sale in their store as well.
- Online sale and shipping of mushrooms – while not as profitable as direct sales, some growers are very successful in this space.
- Sale to local restaurants – This is a key for local mushroom farm success. Regular sales and delivery to local restaurants is a powerful success tool for local growers.
- Grocery stores – Many local chains love to source from local growers. You do need to have your business established and liability coverage (insurance) before selling via grocery stores. It is a good idea before you sell any mushrooms.
- Food co–ops – Co-ops offer a great opportunity to reach a local market with little money out of pocket. These businesses exist to help their member sell their products. Often, these are more established than some farmers markets, and remain open year round.
- Dried mushrooms – There is a market for dried mushrooms and this can be a solid option versus letting any of your mushrooms spoil due to low sales compared to your production at any given time.
- Value-added mushroom food products – Sometimes, smaller mushrooms of mushrooms with cosmetic flaws make sense as a part of other products as added value ingredients.
- Shiitake mushroom sauce – A favorite of foodies everywhere, this sauce can be an entire source of income all by itself.
- Mushroom croutons – Again often using Shiitake mushrooms, many growers cook these to prepare these as mushroom croutons as an alternative to traditional croutons for salad lovers everywhere. Hint – these are also great in casseroles.
- Shiitake and oyster mushroom grow kits – Because of the growing interest in mushroom growing, these kits are becoming wildly popular and can create a solid stream of income for your business.
- Used growth media or substrate – Popular for its nutrient-rich ingredients, even your spent or used substrate can be very valuable. Some growers who market this properly recoup their cost for their substrate this way. Making your substrate free increases your profit dramatically.
Those are just some of the many sources of profit for mushroom growers and their business. You too can start to capture these profits for yourself.
Here is a great video on the most profitable strains of mushrooms to grow.