Here is a simple list of some areas of profit for you to consider.
There are many more but this is worth review as you consider setting up your business.
- The direct to consumer sale of your mushrooms – Common methods include the sale of mushrooms to the local market via local farmers markets. As some farms grow they establish their own company store and offer other related gourmet items for sale in their store as well.
- Online sale and shipping of mushrooms – while not as profitable as direct sales some growers are very successful in this space.
- Sale to local restaurants – This is a key for local mushroom farm success. Regular sales and delivery to local restaurants is a powerful success tool for local growers.
- Grocery Stores – Many local chains love to source from local growers. You do need to have your business established and liability coverage (insurance) before selling via grocery stores. It is a good idea before you sell any mushrooms.
- Food Co–Ops – Co-ops offer a great opportunity to reach a local market with little money out of pocket. These businesses exist to help their member sell their products. Often these are more established than some farmers markets and remain open year-round.
- Dried Mushrooms – There is a market for dried mushrooms and this can be a solid option versus letting any of your mushrooms spoil due to low sales compared to your production at any given time.
- Value-added Mushroom Food Products – Sometimes smaller mushrooms of mushrooms with cosmetic flaws make sense as a part of other products as added value ingredients.
- Shiitake Mushroom Sauce – A favorite of foodies everywhere this sauce can be an entire source of income all by itself.
- Mushroom Croutons – Again often using Shiitake mushrooms many growers cook these to prepare these as mushroom croutons as an alternative to traditional croutons for salad lovers everywhere. Hint – these are also great in casseroles.
- Shiitake & Oster Mushroom Grow kits – Because of the growing interest in mushroom growing these kits are becoming wildly popular and can create a solid stream of income for your business.
- Used Growth Media or Substrate – Popular for it is nutrient-rich ingredients even your spent or used substrate can be very valuable. Some growers who market this properly recoup their cost for their substrate this way. Making your substrate-free increases your profit dramatically.
Those are just some of the many sources of profit for mushroom growers and their business. You too can start to capture these profits for yourself.
Here is a link to the most profitable strains of mushroom from the viewpoint of a successful business owner.
Canning Mushrooms How to can mushrooms at home for fun, preservation, and profit. When we talk about canning mushrooms in this case, we are talking about canning your mushrooms at home with a traditional canning method. 10 steps to can mushrooms. Source and choose...
Why does the substrate matter? In a field like farming mushrooms where it is possible (at least in part) to literally grow with waste materials and manure, why does your substrate matter? A few things to look at with the cost of a substrate as you grow and...
Online Food Ordering Systems for Mushroom Farms A good number of Mushroom Farmers are looking for local delivery solutions. They want an app or a feature on their website that allows customers to order fresh food locally and set up delivery, or pickup. So, I thought I...
A great video from Southwest Mushrooms on making your own masters mix with our ingredients. Several times during the video you can see our product label shown to the camera.
Growing Mushrooms at home for fun or profit. How you grow your mushrooms ultimately is determined like anything else by your focus. By this I mean one person’s approach when growing them for their own use, should likely differ from the methods commercial farms use to...
This timelapse video of mushrooms growing in a tub seems peaceful and fun. If you want to learn more about growing your own mushrooms you can download 2 free ebooks here. You can also learn more with the content on this blog and from following our free business group...
Discover how to make your own liquid culture lids for your jars. These are great for making your own liquid culture. As shared in the video even a small jar can help you transform 1 LC syringe into 40. If you want to innoculate your own grain spawn LC is the way to...
Above is a fun video that gives you a behind-the-scenes look at some of Mike's marketing efforts. He is making his business available, and visible sharing with others his passion for mushrooms. Mike has been interviewed by PBS, and even several well known regional...