Here is a simple list of some areas of profit for you to consider.
There are many more but this is worth review as you consider setting up your business.
- The direct to consumer sale of your mushrooms – Common methods include the sale of mushrooms to the local market via local farmers markets. As some farms grow they establish their own company store and offer other related gourmet items for sale in their store as well.
- Online sale and shipping of mushrooms – while not as profitable as direct sales some growers are very successful in this space.
- Sale to local restaurants – This is a key for local mushroom farm success. Regular sales and delivery to local restaurants is a powerful success tool for local growers.
- Grocery Stores – Many local chains love to source from local growers. You do need to have your business established and liability coverage (insurance) before selling via grocery stores. It is a good idea before you sell any mushrooms.
- Food Co–Ops – Co-ops offer a great opportunity to reach a local market with little money out of pocket. These businesses exist to help their member sell their products. Often these are more established than some farmers markets and remain open year-round.
- Dried Mushrooms – There is a market for dried mushrooms and this can be a solid option versus letting any of your mushrooms spoil due to low sales compared to your production at any given time.
- Value-added Mushroom Food Products – Sometimes smaller mushrooms of mushrooms with cosmetic flaws make sense as a part of other products as added value ingredients.
- Shiitake Mushroom Sauce – A favorite of foodies everywhere this sauce can be an entire source of income all by itself.
- Mushroom Croutons – Again often using Shiitake mushrooms many growers cook these to prepare these as mushroom croutons as an alternative to traditional croutons for salad lovers everywhere. Hint – these are also great in casseroles.
- Shiitake & Oster Mushroom Grow kits – Because of the growing interest in mushroom growing these kits are becoming wildly popular and can create a solid stream of income for your business.
- Used Growth Media or Substrate – Popular for it is nutrient-rich ingredients even your spent or used substrate can be very valuable. Some growers who market this properly recoup their cost for their substrate this way. Making your substrate-free increases your profit dramatically.
Those are just some of the many sources of profit for mushroom growers and their business. You too can start to capture these profits for yourself.
Here is a link to the most profitable strains of mushroom from the viewpoint of a successful business owner.
A great video from PBS with one of our friends in the Mushroom Business as the focus of the program. Southwest Mushrooms on PBS
Something exciting is happening with Mushrooms! What is amazing is that consumers are catching on about how healthy mushrooms are. Mushroom supplements are the newest sign of this amazing trend. Several growers are realizing that it can be very profitable to...
Discover more about 20 types of mushrooms and their uses in your diet, and life in this amazing video.
Here you can visit a local mushroom farm that has scaled to a commercial operation.
Sometimes it is hard to find lab supplies when you are small and just starting out. Also, locating a place to purchase all of them at one time can be near impossible. Well, Amazon has much of what you may want or need if you know where to look. This page will just...
This is a new model of flow hood now available on Amazon. It is too early to have a great deal of feedback but it is nice to see more options entering the market. As you know a Laminar flow hood is the next step for someone's mushroom growing operation often after a...
So many exciting products are being launched every week now in the mushroom business that we are watching these products for you. As a farmer or grower trying these products and seeing if they can fit in your own product line can mean more profit for your business....
This bedside nightlight looks cool! It seems like this nightlight would be a great way to get your kids interested in and loving mushrooms at an early age. Maybe a key to get them thinking positively about mushrooms and helping more on the farm? Made of...
Coffee Drinker? Think you have tried it all before? How about Mushroom Coffee? Yes, mushroom coffee is now available and it is getting some solid reviews on Amazon and other marketplaces. Here are the details on this coffee. POWER ON CREATIVE FOCUS: Half the caffeine,...