Here is a simple list of some areas of profit for you to consider.
There are many more but this is worth review as you consider setting up your business.
- The direct to consumer sale of your mushrooms – Common methods include the sale of mushrooms to the local market via local farmers markets. As some farms grow they establish their own company store and offer other related gourmet items for sale in their store as well.
- Online sale and shipping of mushrooms – while not as profitable as direct sales some growers are very successful in this space.
- Sale to local restaurants – This is a key for local mushroom farm success. Regular sales and delivery to local restaurants is a powerful success tool for local growers.
- Grocery Stores – Many local chains love to source from local growers. You do need to have your business established and liability coverage (insurance) before selling via grocery stores. It is a good idea before you sell any mushrooms.
- Food Co–Ops – Co-ops offer a great opportunity to reach a local market with little money out of pocket. These businesses exist to help their member sell their products. Often these are more established than some farmers markets and remain open year-round.
- Dried Mushrooms – There is a market for dried mushrooms and this can be a solid option versus letting any of your mushrooms spoil due to low sales compared to your production at any given time.
- Value-added Mushroom Food Products – Sometimes smaller mushrooms of mushrooms with cosmetic flaws make sense as a part of other products as added value ingredients.
- Shiitake Mushroom Sauce – A favorite of foodies everywhere this sauce can be an entire source of income all by itself.
- Mushroom Croutons – Again often using Shiitake mushrooms many growers cook these to prepare these as mushroom croutons as an alternative to traditional croutons for salad lovers everywhere. Hint – these are also great in casseroles.
- Shiitake & Oster Mushroom Grow kits – Because of the growing interest in mushroom growing these kits are becoming wildly popular and can create a solid stream of income for your business.
- Used Growth Media or Substrate – Popular for it is nutrient-rich ingredients even your spent or used substrate can be very valuable. Some growers who market this properly recoup their cost for their substrate this way. Making your substrate-free increases your profit dramatically.
Those are just some of the many sources of profit for mushroom growers and their business. You too can start to capture these profits for yourself.
Here is a link to the most profitable strains of mushroom from the viewpoint of a successful business owner.
This is the page where we will provide the winner's name for our most recent contest.
Video by GrowCycle Video by Fresh Cap MushroomsWhat is a Mushroom Substrate? How to use mushroom substrates properly to grow the best mushrooms on planet Earth. What is a Mushroom Substrate? A mushroom substrate is the base that you grow your mushrooms on. It...
Secrets to sending emails when on the go with your smartphone using only text. Keep reading to learn how to send email alerts to your text message on your phone and even forward emails automatically too. If you have a smartphone, there are many more ways to contact...
Mushroom Mike from Southwest Mushrooms shares how he makes his mushroom grow bags with some of our substrate ingredients. This is an outstanding video where Mike breaks everything down for you. Amazing video and helpful information for all mushroom farmers. We are...
This great video by Andrew at Mossy Creek Mushrooms talks about his experience using our Mushroom Substrate Straw Pellets. He shares how he switched his operation over, why, and his results in yields.
You want to eat healthier but still, use the pellet smoker? Here is a recipe that every smoker will love and their healthy eaters will crave. Mushroom Mini Burgers It is a little bit meat and a little mushroom. Total Meal Prep Time 45 minutes to include 15 minutes of...
Using Your Straw Pellets as a substrate. Hydrate the straw pellets. You want to hydrate the pellets until they hold the water you have provided, but do not drip water unless lightly squeezed. This amount per pound of pellets varies because of many factors...
To keep you inspired, we prepared seven steps that you can use as a guide in starting your business in a local farmer’s market. Identify your product. Before even getting yourself a stall, it is important that you identify the product that you are going to sell your...
How to sell at the local farmer’s market Selling at the market is one of the best ways to earn money. Not only the market never runs out of people finding common products that are consumed on a regular basis but also it is a place where you can build a business that...