MULTIPLYING SPAWN ON SORGHUM SEEDS
- Prepare materials:
- Sorghum seeds
- Bottles (flask type)
- Cotton (gauze)
- Paper squares 7 cm x 7 cm
- Rubber bands
- Alcohol lamp
- Alcohol bottle
Note: Various types of grains can be used: Sorghum, millet, wheat
- Have been recently harvested
- Contain few broken kernels
- Little contamination
- No fungi, no insects
- No more than 12% humidity
- Soak sorghum for one night; 2 liters of water per 1 kg of grain.
- Wash and strain sorghum seeds to remove all water.
- Steam sorghum seeds for 30-45 minutes to soften grains and cook about 25%.
- Drain water and spread sorghum seeds to cool down and decrease moisture.
- Fill ¾ of bottle with sorghum seeds.
- Carefully prepare cotton plug
- Tightly plug mouth of bottle with cotton and leave out for ventilation.
- Transfer all prepared bottles to the sterilization chamber.
Close chamber. Fire-up burner or stove to heat chamber. Make sure to release all air from the chamber before starting. Keep pressure in the chamber at 15 lb./sq.inch. or 121o Celsius for 30 minutes for small chambers and 45 minutes for medium chambers.
Let bottles cool down.
- Transfer bottles to a clean and cool place.
- Bottles must be cleaned and well prepared.
Prepare the well verified PDA bottles
- Clean laminar flow chamber using alcohol.
- Transfer PDA, sorghum seed bottles, paper and rubber bands in laminar flow chamber. Light UV lamp for 10 – 15 minutes before starting. Place needle in alcohol.
Turn off UV. Clean both hands with alcohol and insert hands into the chamber.
- Using 2 fingers, take out needle, pass through fire as to burn alcohol, and disinfect needle. Make sure the needle turns red.
- After the needle cooled down to normal state, use needle to cut small square (5mm x 5mm) of PDA with mycelium (white color).
- Close bottle immediately. Remain near flame at all times.
- Using other hand flame around the mouth and shoulder of the sorghum seed bottle.
Using other fingers, open spawn bottle near flame to avoid contamination.
- Insert needle and inoculate sorghum seeds with PDA mycelium by placing small square piece in the middle of the bottle. Make sure the PDA mycelium does not touch anything before entering the sorghum seeds bottle.
Note: The mouth of the bottle should be near the flame. The mouth should remain higher than the bottom part at all times. Do not touch mouth of bottle with piece of PDA.
- Close bottle immediately.
- Place square paper over cotton and tie with plastic neck or rubber band.
- Label inoculated sorghum bottles writing: Date, Spawn no., ref., and inoculation time.
Note: It takes about 10 – 15 days to get full-grown sorghum grain mycelium, depending on the species.
- Keep mature sorghum seeds in a cool place or in the vegetable compartment of the refrigerator. Check for infection regularly.
- Remove contaminated bottles.
Transfer contaminated bottles to cleaning site. Clean bottles as normal glassware.
- Observe and collect data. Take notes to draw conclusions.
Note: A loss of about 3% is to be expected.
How to Apply for USDA Microloans
How to Apply for USDA Microloans USDA Microloans offer a unique opportunity for small-scale farmers to access affordable financing, promoting growth and sustainability in the agriculture industry. In this article, we'll provide a comprehensive guide on how to apply...
Using an Autoclave for your Mushroom Farm
Using an Autoclave for your Mushroom Farm Mushroom farming is becoming increasingly popular, and for good reason. Not only is it a sustainable and eco-friendly way to produce food, but it is also a profitable industry. However, to run a successful mushroom farm, it is...
Setting Up a Successful Farmers Market Stall
The Art of Setting Up a Successful Farmers Market Stall Setting up a successful farmers market stall can be quite the adventure. It's an opportunity to share your love for local produce, connect with your community, and make a few bucks along the way. But, as with any...
Farmers Marketing Selling of Mushrooms
Farmers Marketing Selling of Mushrooms The Ultimate Guide to a Fungi-tastic Business Mushrooms, those delightful fungi that pop up in culinary dishes across the globe, have been gaining popularity as a versatile and nutritious food source. In recent years, a growing...
The Importance of Branding Your Business
The Importance of Branding Your Business In today's highly competitive business world, branding has become an essential component of any successful marketing strategy. It is the process of creating a unique identity for your business, products, or services that sets...
Shroom Up Your Business
Shroom Up Your Business: Tips for Growing Mushrooms as a Business Mushrooms have been a delicacy for centuries, but did you know that they can also be a profitable business venture? As the demand for organic and locally-sourced foods increases, mushrooms have become a...
Growing Gourmet Mushrooms
Growing Gourmet Mushrooms A Comprehensive Guide Mushrooms have been a popular food for centuries, but recently, there has been a surge of interest in gourmet mushrooms. These unique and flavorful mushrooms are a favorite among chefs and food enthusiasts alike. If...
Growing Mushrooms as a business
Growing Mushrooms as a business At MushroomMediaOnline.com, we are passionate about helping you make a profitable business out of growing gourmet mushrooms. With the rising popularity of plant-based diets and the increasing demand for locally-sourced, organic produce,...
Ultimate Guide to Masters Mix Substrate
Master the Art of Mushroom Growing: The Ultimate Guide to Master's Mix SubstrateIntroduction Welcome to our ultimate guide on Master's Mix, a highly effective mushroom substrate that has revolutionized the world of mushroom cultivation. This comprehensive guide will...