- Prepare materials:
Potatoes: 200 gr.
Dextrose: 20 gr.
Agar powder: 20 gr.
Water: 1 liter.
Note: Visually check potatoes for spots or rot. Buy dextrose and Agar of commercial grade.
- Wash and cut potatoes into one-centimeter cubes; leave on or remove the skin.
- Clean small flat bottles (small whiskey bottles as a container can be used).
- Place potatoes in one liter of water. Simmer for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Remove potatoes & keep the broth as clear as possible.
Add water to broth to reach one liter of liquid PDA
- Bring water to stove. Add dextrose followed by agar. Slowly stir continuously with regular speed until completely dissolved.
- Pour liquid PDA in bottle until you reach 5 – 10 mm high
- Plug bottle with cotton.
- Place bottles in autoclave at 121oC for 20 – 30 minutes to ensure complete sterilization.
Let cool down to around 37oC
- Place bottles in slanted position as to increase surface area of the medium. PDA should come close to the neck but must not touch the cotton plug.
After PDA medium is settled in bottle, transfer all bottles to clean shelf in the clean room.
- Check for contamination (contamination can be seen when dark spots or lines occur).
Selecting tissue culture
Do not want to use your own cultures to start here is a video for one of our YouTube friends who also sell cultures too.
- Prepare materials:
- Special needle (insulated handle)
- Alcohol lamp
- Cotton (gauze)
- Matches or lighter
- Bottles with PDA
- Laminar flow cabinet (or protected environment)
- UV lamp
- Select a strong mushroom for culture.
- Not too mature, not too young.
- Not too humid (at least 2-3 hours after watering)
- With a stiff stalk
- Make sure it is clean and far from any contaminated mushroom.
- Clean the room, all necessary tools, inside and outside the laminar flow cabinet with alcohol. Transfer PDA bottles and necessary tools into the chamber.
- Place all cleaned materials inside laminar flow. Turn on UV lamp and laminar flow. After 10-15 minutes, turn off UV lamp but leave laminar flow for the duration of the operation.
- Clean both hands and bottles with alcohol and insert hands into the cabinet.
- Hold needle with 2 fingers in a 45o-degreeangle, flame needle to disinfect until the needle turns red. Make sure it does not touch any surface after flaming.
- While needle cools down (15-20 seconds – hold needle not to touch anything or place it on the clean surface of a glass).
- Using other fingers, tear mushroom lengthwise (DO NOT use knife to cut).
- With the needle, cut a small piece (2 mm x 2 mm) of fleshy tissue from inside the mushroom (in the middle between the cap and the stalk). Make sure that it is clean and did not touch the outside of the mushroom.
- Flame around the mouth of the bottle. Using other fingers, remove cotton plug of PDA bottle in front of flame to secure against contamination.
- Insert the needle in the bottle and inoculate by placing small piece of cut mushroom in the middle of the PDA’s surface. Make sure the piece of mushroom does not touch anything before entering the PDA bottle
- Close bottle immediately near the flame with cotton plug
Note: the bottom of the bottle should always be lower than the mouth of the bottle and the mouth of the bottle should remain near the flame at all times.
- Label bottles and indicate: Date, type of mushroom, mother spawn #.
HOW TO GROW MUSHROOMS Anyone who has a good cellar where an even temperature can be maintained can grow mushrooms for home use, but if they are to be raised in large quantities for market, an appropriate building must be given over to their exclusive use. We have...
White Sauce 2 Cheese Mushroom Pizza This is an amazing cheese pizza that has a great Mushroom taste. If you have a Ooni Wood Fired Pizza Grill you can do the pre work in about 15 minutes and cook this amazing Pizza in about 2 minutes time. If you are cooking in a...
All of these varieties of mushroom love oak sawdust that is supplemented. We recommend the soy hull supplementation for the best result. Shiitake, Lion's Mane, Oyster, Phoenix Oyster, Pioppini, Reishi, Chicken of the Woods, Maitake, Nameko. Get your own fast fruiting...
TROUBLE SHOOTING “Preventing is better than solving the problems” Or a penny of prevention is better than a pound of cure. If your Mycelium fails to form. I can me the following things. Improper initiation strategy. Consult parameter of growth. Alter moisture,...
HARVESTING Look for mature mushrooms. Mushrooms are ready to be picked 2 - 3 days after they first appear. Pick mushrooms gently by grasping stalk and pulling out slowly. Note: Mushrooms must be harvested at the most appropriate time. If too small, they cannot fetch a...
OPENING BAGS Clean around and inside the fruiting body house using a broom. Transfer mature spawn bags to the mushroom fruiting body house using a trolley (or prepare them for fruiting). Place bags on shelves. Open bags according to type 3.1 Oyster mushrooms- Hed...
INCUBATING BAGS Clean around and inside the incubation house using a broom. Always inspect for cleanliness before entering with new spawn bags. After inoculation, transfer substrate bags to mushroom incubation house. Place bags on shelves for incubation. Incubation....
INOCULATING BAGS WITH SORGHUM SEEDS Note: The inoculation room must be kept very clean and free of diseases to avoid contamination. Avoid sunshine from entering the area. Prepare materials: Alcohol lamp Sorghum coated with spawn Fire Square paper (5’’ x 5’’) Rubber...
Sterilizing Your Bags There are many ways to sterilize your bags. For small operations (new farms) using a pressure cooker can help you sterilize several small bags at one time. At this time we are considering offering grow bags, and even possibly pre-sterilized grow...