INOCULATING BAGS WITH SORGHUM SEEDS
Note: The inoculation room must be kept very clean and free of diseases to avoid contamination. Avoid sunshine from entering the area.
- Prepare materials:
- Alcohol lamp
- Sorghum coated with spawn
- Square paper (5’’ x 5’’)
- Rubber bands
- Cotton Alcohol
- Pasteurized substrate bags
- Cleanroom with broom or dust vacuum Rub the floor with a disinfecting solution.
- Bring substrate bags from pasteurization chamber to the inoculation area.
- Light alcohol lamp.
- Disinfect hands and pasteurized substrate bags with alcohol.
- Take a bottle of sorghum coated with spawn (all-white color).
- Shake well bottle against car tire (or old tire) to release sorghum seeds and then, bring bottles to inoculation room. Do not open bottle
- A flame around the bottleneck. Open bottle very close to the flame to take out the air from inside.
- Drop 10 – 20 sorghum seeds coated with spawn in the mushroom bag. Act very quickly and with very little movement.
- Then bring cotton to close the bag as quickly as possible. Repeat for all bags.
- Leave bottle near the flame until all bags have been inoculated. Then close the bottle.
- Following inoculation of all bags, place clean square paper to cover the top of the bag and tie with a rubber band.
- Bring bags to incubation room.
Canning Mushrooms How to can mushrooms at home for fun, preservation, and profit. When we talk about canning mushrooms in this case, we are talking about canning your mushrooms at home with a traditional canning method. 10 steps to can mushrooms. Source and choose...
Why does the substrate matter? In a field like farming mushrooms where it is possible (at least in part) to literally grow with waste materials and manure, why does your substrate matter? A few things to look at with the cost of a substrate as you grow and...
Online Food Ordering Systems for Mushroom Farms A good number of Mushroom Farmers are looking for local delivery solutions. They want an app or a feature on their website that allows customers to order fresh food locally and set up delivery, or pickup. So, I thought I...
A great video from Southwest Mushrooms on making your own masters mix with our ingredients. Several times during the video you can see our product label shown to the camera.
Growing Mushrooms at home for fun or profit. How you grow your mushrooms ultimately is determined like anything else by your focus. By this I mean one person’s approach when growing them for their own use, should likely differ from the methods commercial farms use to...
This timelapse video of mushrooms growing in a tub seems peaceful and fun. If you want to learn more about growing your own mushrooms you can download 2 free ebooks here. You can also learn more with the content on this blog and from following our free business group...
Discover how to make your own liquid culture lids for your jars. These are great for making your own liquid culture. As shared in the video even a small jar can help you transform 1 LC syringe into 40. If you want to innoculate your own grain spawn LC is the way to...
Above is a fun video that gives you a behind-the-scenes look at some of Mike's marketing efforts. He is making his business available, and visible sharing with others his passion for mushrooms. Mike has been interviewed by PBS, and even several well known regional...