MULTIPLYING SPAWN ON SORGHUM SEEDS
- Prepare materials:
- Sorghum seeds
- Bottles (flask type)
- Cotton (gauze)
- Paper squares 7 cm x 7 cm
- Rubber bands
- Alcohol lamp
- Alcohol bottle
Note: Various types of grains can be used: Sorghum, millet, wheat
- Have been recently harvested
- Contain few broken kernels
- Little contamination
- No fungi, no insects
- No more than 12% humidity
- Soak sorghum for one night; 2 liters of water per 1 kg of grain.
- Wash and strain sorghum seeds to remove all water.
- Steam sorghum seeds for 30-45 minutes to soften grains and cook about 25%.
- Drain water and spread sorghum seeds to cool down and decrease moisture.
- Fill ¾ of bottle with sorghum seeds.
- Carefully prepare cotton plug
- Tightly plug mouth of bottle with cotton and leave out for ventilation.
- Transfer all prepared bottles to the sterilization chamber.
Close chamber. Fire-up burner or stove to heat chamber. Make sure to release all air from the chamber before starting. Keep pressure in the chamber at 15 lb./sq.inch. or 121o Celsius for 30 minutes for small chambers and 45 minutes for medium chambers.
Let bottles cool down.
- Transfer bottles to a clean and cool place.
- Bottles must be cleaned and well prepared.
Prepare the well verified PDA bottles
- Clean laminar flow chamber using alcohol.
- Transfer PDA, sorghum seed bottles, paper and rubber bands in laminar flow chamber. Light UV lamp for 10 – 15 minutes before starting. Place needle in alcohol.
Turn off UV. Clean both hands with alcohol and insert hands into the chamber.
- Using 2 fingers, take out needle, pass through fire as to burn alcohol, and disinfect needle. Make sure the needle turns red.
- After the needle cooled down to normal state, use needle to cut small square (5mm x 5mm) of PDA with mycelium (white color).
- Close bottle immediately. Remain near flame at all times.
- Using other hand flame around the mouth and shoulder of the sorghum seed bottle.
Using other fingers, open spawn bottle near flame to avoid contamination.
- Insert needle and inoculate sorghum seeds with PDA mycelium by placing small square piece in the middle of the bottle. Make sure the PDA mycelium does not touch anything before entering the sorghum seeds bottle.
Note: The mouth of the bottle should be near the flame. The mouth should remain higher than the bottom part at all times. Do not touch mouth of bottle with piece of PDA.
- Close bottle immediately.
- Place square paper over cotton and tie with plastic neck or rubber band.
- Label inoculated sorghum bottles writing: Date, Spawn no., ref., and inoculation time.
Note: It takes about 10 – 15 days to get full-grown sorghum grain mycelium, depending on the species.
- Keep mature sorghum seeds in a cool place or in the vegetable compartment of the refrigerator. Check for infection regularly.
- Remove contaminated bottles.
Transfer contaminated bottles to cleaning site. Clean bottles as normal glassware.
- Observe and collect data. Take notes to draw conclusions.
Note: A loss of about 3% is to be expected.
Canning Mushrooms How to can mushrooms at home for fun, preservation, and profit. When we talk about canning mushrooms in this case, we are talking about canning your mushrooms at home with a traditional canning method. 10 steps to can mushrooms. Source and choose...
Why does the substrate matter? In a field like farming mushrooms where it is possible (at least in part) to literally grow with waste materials and manure, why does your substrate matter? A few things to look at with the cost of a substrate as you grow and...
Online Food Ordering Systems for Mushroom Farms A good number of Mushroom Farmers are looking for local delivery solutions. They want an app or a feature on their website that allows customers to order fresh food locally and set up delivery, or pickup. So, I thought I...
A great video from Southwest Mushrooms on making your own masters mix with our ingredients. Several times during the video you can see our product label shown to the camera.
Growing Mushrooms at home for fun or profit. How you grow your mushrooms ultimately is determined like anything else by your focus. By this I mean one person’s approach when growing them for their own use, should likely differ from the methods commercial farms use to...
This timelapse video of mushrooms growing in a tub seems peaceful and fun. If you want to learn more about growing your own mushrooms you can download 2 free ebooks here. You can also learn more with the content on this blog and from following our free business group...
Discover how to make your own liquid culture lids for your jars. These are great for making your own liquid culture. As shared in the video even a small jar can help you transform 1 LC syringe into 40. If you want to innoculate your own grain spawn LC is the way to...
Above is a fun video that gives you a behind-the-scenes look at some of Mike's marketing efforts. He is making his business available, and visible sharing with others his passion for mushrooms. Mike has been interviewed by PBS, and even several well known regional...